Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bilingual Berries

I have two clamshells of bilingual berries.

My raspberries went bad before I could eat them. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact they came all the way from Chile. Maybe it has nothing to do with that, but dang that's a long flight for little red raspberries, they have traveled more in their lifetime than I have in mine. They are named Red & Blue, it sounded pretty patriotic to me. One time I picked wild raspberries in New Hampshire. I guess at first glance I thought they maybe came from there, but then again the Chilean flag is also Red & Blue, so they are still some patriotic berries. The odd thing though is I would've expected Chilean raspberries to speak spanish, but they are actually fluent in French. I expected them to say that they are frambuesas, but in fact they claim to be framboises! With a little research of the berries. I found out that Chile is the largest exporter of fruit in the southern hemisphere, in fact I love that the Chilean fruit industry has such an easy to navigate, informative and aesthetically pleasing website. Literally, I could find in about two seconds anything I could possibly want to know and more than I care to know about Chilean fruit. Check it out! http://www.chileanfreshfruit.com/

The other clamshell is filled with blueberries. These berries are from Plant City, Florida. Not very far away. In fact, I've been there a few times for the Florida Strawberry Festival. While obviously not as famous as strawberries to the area, I wasn't surprised that other berries may be grown there. That's the positive part. Short trip blueberries, bringing back positive memories of the fair. The negative, they are named Poverty Ridge. Isn't that depressing. The poor berries are being called impoverished. Ok, maybe they are not impoverished, but where is this Poverty Ridge? Is this where these berries were grown? I'm all about being true to the land, but gosh... all I can think about with a name like that is poor little barefoot hungry children picking berries till their fingers bleed. Rename the ridge! Sunny Ridge, Merry Berry Ridge, Green Grass Ridge, Blue Skies, Bright Smiles and Blueberries Ridge. Something positive please! Also these berries speak French too. Maybe Poverty Ridge might sound better in French.





No comments:

Post a Comment