Saturday, November 27, 2010

All-American Manufacturing, Not So All-American Style

Today my Aunt was very happy to see that I was wearing a previous Christmas gift she gave me a few years ago. I wore it because it is one of the few long-sleeved t-shirts I own. She loves it more than I do and in fact would’ve bought it for herself at the Metropolitan Opera House Gift Shop if they had one in her size. It has a fun screen print design, rather Art Nouveau. I enjoy Art Nouveau & Art Deco… I guess I prefer each one depending on if I’m in a more organic or a more geometric mood. It is rather comfortable and American Apparel. I find American Apparel rather interesting, I do admit that I did not know much about the brand until I moved to Miami. You can pull American Apparel in Miami. For being called American Apparel, it definitely has more of a specific urban international following than American.



I can’t imagine….. Hmm…

Well, I can imagine walking down my sweet little southern town decked in tight /short American Apparel.

In fact, I’ve almost been there, done that

When I decided to go shopping

In Spandex leggings

I mean they weren’t even liquid Spandex

I was getting all kinds of stares

Old ladies talking about me behind my back

I know they were jealous

I gathered bits & pieces

I wasn’t even in heels or anything

I just came from the gym

I was in tennis shoes

Maybe that’s the reason for the stares

People don’t go downtown without makeup

In Miami, people love leggings

And wear them all the time

Whatever shows off your butt better

Hahaha…. I remember a few talks we girls got

From a Georgia Peach from Buckhead

She tried to convince us that leggings are not pants

She wore them under skirts & dresses

Like you do tights

We were all shocked

What!

One of my classmates worked in the South Beach location

She wore American Apparel everyday

Must’ve got a discount

I think they are a bit pricey

Especially for starving artists

Unless the starving artist lives off his or her parents

In Miami, you also see American Apparel ads everywhere.

Great photography & composition

A little racy

But whatever

Grabs your attention

It’s interesting that they manufacture everything in L.A.

Good to have a company setting an example in textiles

No little kids working in sweat shops in Thailand

Loved their website too,

Very clean

Very descriptive

Very open about everything

Well, I guess I’d consider them pretty open anyway

In almost every sense of the word

No comments:

Post a Comment