Friday, November 12, 2010

Hitchhiking with Art Supplies

Last night, the manager of Utrecht stopped by one of our art classes to talk about some of their products and I started thinking about my relationship with Utrecht. I am sorry to say that while I have mostly positive feelings for Utrecht, our relationship has been entirely based on location. Hahaha... memories are starting to flow over me like an ink wash, swept across the page with a medium bamboo brush!

Two years ago
I had a hard time
Finding Warehouse 10
I asked for directions
Even university employees
Didn't have a clue

It's the back side of Campus
Where you don't want to be

Especially at night
Even if you have the code

Especially when you have
To carry a 30lb pad of newsprint
Along with a giant folder
And a giant bag of supplies

Especially when
You don't have a car

I was given a list
A list
That is too long
A list
That is too expensive
A list
That is too confusing
A list
That requires a trip

I planned
Every outing
Down to every
Detail
You have to
When you take

Terrible transit

9:15 - Leave apartment
9:30 - Catch bus #24
If that bus doesn't come...
10:30- Catch bus #24
10:25- Arrive at Metrorail station
10:28 - Metrorail Leaves
If you miss the train...
10:40- Metrorail Leaves

Then walk
Walk underneath
The train tracks
Listen to rush, rumble, tumble above you
It won't last long

Mind Your Own business
Ignore the homeless
Ignore the cat-callers
Ignore the old men

Wait for bright light up sign
Look for cars
Hope the cars stop
Hope the cars stop
With right on red
Long enough to cross
One, two, three, four, five, six

It might be lunch time by now
Luckily, McDonald's is on this corner

Finally, Utrecht
Pearls was further away
Find everything I need
Nice store
Helpful staff
Student Discount

Now the hard part
Getting Back!

Sailing down
A1A
In the sun
Big drawing board
Sways in the breeze
I sway under the weight

Drop it
Pick it up
Drop it
Pick it up

Zooming Zooming Past
Truck!
Move out of the way

"Hey, girl"
Stare
"Hey, You look like you need a ride"
Stare
"Look"
"Here is my license"
"See my name"
"It's the same name on my truck"
Stare at the truck
"See it's also on my shirt"
Stare at the shirt
"This is my business"
Penetrating Stare into face

"Well, Ok"
"You can take me to the Metrorail station"

Next Year
Bus #8
One bus
Bus #8
Jerry's Artorama
Cheaper
Can't find anything
No one to help
No one knows

No comments:

Post a Comment